Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Smple Present Tenses and Their Usage

The present tenses in English are used:

  • to talk about the present
  • to talk about the future
  • to talk about the past when we are telling a story in spoken English or when we are summarizing a book, film, play etc.

There are four present tense forms in English:

Present simple                     : I Study
Present continuous              : I am studying
Present perfect                     : I have studied
Present perfect continuous  : I have been studying

We use these forms:

To talk about something happens at the present:

He attends to Semarang State University. He has attended there for two years now.
He is attending at Semarang State University. He has been attending there for three months now.
Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia.

All of those things are now happening, aren't they?

To talk about the future:

The next train leaves this evening at 7.30 a.m.
She’ll call you when she gets home.
Linda is visiting her parents in Semarang this afternoon.
I’ll accompany you as soon as I have finished my home assignment.
You will be relaxed out after you have been taking a rest all night.

We can use the present tenses to talk about the past...

Exercise:

What times are these present tense verbs referring to: past, present, or future?

1. I have to go. The flight to Singapore leaves at 2.30 p.m
a. past
b. present
c. future

2. Are we going out this evening?
a. past
b. present
c. future

3. So, I say to him, "What's your game, dear?"
a. past
b. present
c. future

4. He's having a problem with the motorcycle again.
a. past
b. present
c. future

5. Lintang plays ex-boxer standing up to the corrupt boss.
a. past
b. present
c. future

6. I am having a party at the weekend. Would you join?
a. past
b. present
c. future

7. I'd like to see her face when she gets the office.
a. past
b. present
c. future

8. Andrean handles the character with his customary skills
a. present
b. past
c. future

9. When I have finished the job, we can play around
a. past
b. present
c. future

10. You look so sad. Anything makes you upset?. 
a. past
b. present
c. future

What are your answers?

0 comments:

Post a Comment